Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Michigan and Wisconsin

We are home - and we will be for a little while! YAHOO! It has been great getting to visit everyone but I am so glad to be home. This summer we have been to Illinois, Wisconsin, Florida (3 times), Kansas, and Michigan. Hot Rod is glad to be home too! Now, on to the good stuff!

We went on the trip for Mikes family reunion. It's really a special place. Everyone meets at a cabin that was built by his great grandfather. Every member of the family holds this place in their heart. I know that Mike was really excited to share a part of his childhood with our son.
A view from the cabin porch    




























































   



























I posted about leaving from the road.  It wasn't too bad, we left late but Rod slept pretty well.  By morning however, he was ready to get out.  We decided to stop on the beach of Lake Michigan.  It was incredibly foggy and overcast.  The weather was still nice so we were able to strip Hot Rod to a diaper and let him get dirty!




It took us about 15 hours to arrive.  Boy were we glad to get there.  I could tell Rod wanted to hit the lake.  He loves the water.  He was not a huge fan of this water!  It was cold.  Once he got used to it he was ok.  We still didn't stay in long.  When we are around Mikes family, Mike loves to show off Rod.  It is the cutest thing.  And it gives me a break.  I was able to read an entire book in just two days!
I read the Jaycee Dugard book. It was a hard read!  It does have a happy ending!  I couldn't even put it down.  I read about 40 pages and then it got better.  I can't say whether you should read it or not.  I think thats totally up to you.  She does go into detail and not everyone wants to or can handle knowing details of what she endured.  I'm not sure i can myself.  In fact, I had weird dreams and nightmares for about a week after reading it.  I'm glad I'm done with it. 
Even though I got a rare moment to read, vacationing with a baby is different.  I still get up in the middle of the night, I still breast feed, the trip itself is longer because he wants to get up and move around and instead of sleeping in a tent, we slept inside.   On the plus side, I was also to sleep in.  Thanks babe!  I appreciated that very much! 
The weekend was good.  Full of family, laughter, great food, horseshoes, campfire, and s'mores.  I know Mike was happy we could have made it out this year.
This Jacket was hand made by Mike's Aunt Jennie.  Is it not the cutest thing you've ever seen?

One of the coolest things that happened was feeding swans.  My father in law, Dave, told me that they haven't been around for 20 years.  Both Mike and his dad were excited to see them especially since this was Rod's first year at the cabin.  There is a picture of Mike as a child feeding the swans.  Rod is up next in line.  It was great to see them though.  They ate right out of my hand!  Here is a picture of them.  They were beautiful.  Mean, but beautiful.

On Sunday, it was time to leave.  Since I didn't get to go to Mackinac Island, I talked Mike into stopping at my favorite lighthouse and ice cream shop.  If you have never had Peanut Butter Mackinac Island Fudge Ice cream you must try it!  It is so delicious! I think I added an our to our trip but it was worth it.  Mike might not admit it now, but one day he will! haha


No comments:

Post a Comment