Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11th 2001 - we will never forget - or will we?

I woke up this morning and my Facebook was exploding with "10 years ago I was...."  I couldn't help but think of December 7th 1941.  Does anyone know what day December 7, 2011 will be?  Most people don't know.  December 7th of this year will be the 70th anniversary of Pear Harbor.  My parents generation, and my generation, did not experience Pearl Harbor.  We know it was a terrible day in which the Japanese attacked the small Island of Oahu, HI.  It does not affect us like it does someone who remembers where they were on that date.  December 7th is often a day that most people don't even think about.
While most of us will know the feeling of the horrible tragedy - my children will not.  They will grow up know that something terrible happened on that day. And they will go about their business.  Its a sad fact but its true.  They wont know the feeling of what its like to wake up one day and seeing a horrible image on the tv screen.  I pray they never do.  My only hope is that the next generation can know that there are two dark days in our history and to keep them in mind when the anniversaries dates come. 
That being said, 10 years ago I was running late for college.  I hopped in my car and turned on the radio.  I heard news.  I changed station of station and it was the news.  I didn't realize what was happening.  As I got to school I had heard that a plane had gone into the world trade center.  I parked my car and quickly got to class.  The news was so new that no one in the class knew about it.  Like I said, I was late.  I remember a man with a back pack that said, United States Army.  I also remember thinking that his life was about to change forever because he was going to go fight.  At this point was it any question that we would go to war?  I didn't pay attention in class, when it was over I went to the commons.  There was a small tv set up with people surrounding it, seeing for the first time what has happened in our country. 
All I wanted to do was go home.  I raced home as fast as I could and watched the horror  unfold as it replayed over and over on my tv.  Mike was in Japan at the time and he called me.  We discussed what was going on - but I don't remember what we said.  After we said our goodbyes I went to work at walmart. 
It was empty.  There was nobody there.  I assume everyone was at home glued to their screen.  I too wanted to be home with my family.  Its a sad day and a horrible event.  I will never forget this day or what I was doing on this day.
I know my children wont and I'm ok with that.  I don't want them to know the feeling of what its like to have their country attacked. 
Today, my heart goes out to all those who lost their lives on this day.  My heart goes out to all those who lost someone on this day.  My heart goes out to all members of the Armed Forces of our country and those of countries fighting with us.  I give you thanks.   God Bless each and everyone one of you today, tomorrow, and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment