Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nursing in Public

I'm all for breastfeeding and consider myself to be an advocate for the rights of breastfeeding momma's.  Recently there has been a Nurse - in across the nation at several Targets.  Michelle Hickman was trying to nurse her child (covered up) and was harrassed by several employees.  Therefore, a nurse in was started.  The point was to bring positive light to breastfeeding and to establish rights as nursing moms.  There has been such a divide amongst people!  And some people have been so negative.
I really hate the "go to the bathroom to feed your kid" comment.  I mean seriously, would you want to eat in a germ infested public restroom?  It amuses me that people have the answer to everything.  Like, just use a bottle.  Well, Rod doesn't take a bottle from me.  He also doesn't nurse with a cover.  He hates it and doesn't nurse because he's trying to get the cover out of his face.  I cover up the best I can, but I'm not perfect. Women should be able to nurse whenever, wherever. 
Another comment I hate is "I don't want to explain to my child...."  What?  You don't want to tell your child that a baby is getting food from his or her momma?  Afraid to tell your child that not all babies are bottle fed?  I do try to hide, especially around kids.  I do respect other people, and I've been very cautious with other peoples kids.  I think its up to the parent to explain the situation, but it's also not something I'm going to be ashamed of.  There is NOTHING wrong with feeding your child.  Whether bottle, breast, or formula.  Each mom does what she feels is best for her baby.  I don't judge women who choose to feed their child formula or bottle, so why should I be judged for feeding breast?
The breast has been so sexualized that nursing has become a perverse act to some people.  I think that is disgusting and anyone who puts the two in the same category is sick.  What I don't get, is why is it ok to see a half nude model (Victoria Secret show) but not ok to see a nursing mom?  It just doesn't make sense. 
Why is this ok?
And this isn't?


 
I think its time for a change.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I agree with everything you said. Very sad state of our culture that we can't embrace what is best and normal for our children but models such as those you posted are plastered everywhere for any child to see. Slowly the trend will change, I hope... afterall, Jesus was breastfed!

    ReplyDelete